DON’T DELAY! Please voice your Opposition to S.B. 152 immediately to Nevada Senate Transportation Committee Members by emailing now:
You may use the following points in your message:
- While we agree that there are instances of abuse of hobby car registration plates, in seeking to punish the abusers, this bill will unfairly affect and inconvenience legitimate owners of classic vehicles in Nevada.
- Existing law already requires that classic vehicles have a manufacturer’s rated carrying capacity of 1 ton or less; were manufactured at least 25 years ago; and contain only the original parts which were used to manufacture the vehicle or replacement parts that duplicate those original parts.
- S.B. 152 would require owners to drive their collector car to an inspection station for an odometer reading. For those with multiple collector cars (some of which may not be operational) this would be an unnecessary and excessive burden.
- S.B. 152 does not consider the fact that many collector insurance policies have mileage restrictions much stricter than the 5,000 mile Nevada limit and also require that the owner park the vehicle in a garage, among other things.
- S.B. 152 makes it more difficult for legitimate classic vehicles to travel long distances for car shows, cross-country tours and other events.
- S.B. 152 makes no provision for “grandfathering” existing classic vehicles and allowing them to retain their classic status.
Overview: Legislation (S.B. 152) to alter the requirements for vehicles eligible for registration as “classics” has been introduced in the Nevada Senate. Under the bill, an owner of a vehicle with a “CLASSIC ROD” or “CLASSIC CAR” special license plate who is seeking an emissions inspection exemption must provide a verification of the odometer reading of the vehicle. These verifications would be completed for a fee by an approved inspector at certain emissions compliance stations to determine that the vehicle was driven less than 5,000 miles the previous year. The bill also requires proof that the vehicle is covered only by a collector motor vehicle liability policy.