UPDATE: West Virginia Bill to Allow Antique License Plates for Heavy Weight Vehicles Advances
DON’T DELAY! Please contact the members of the House Government Organization Committee to request support for H.B. 4064:
You may use the following points in your message:
- H.B. 4064 allows antique vehicle license plates for vehicles over 10,000 lbs.
- H.B. 4064 endorses the fact that vintage vehicles of all sizes constitute a small portion of the vehicle fleet and are overwhelmingly well-maintained and infrequently operated.
- H.B. 4064 acknowledges the fact that heavier-weight vehicles are becoming valued collectors’ items among the automotive community.
- H.B. 4064 creates a more reasonable standard for antique collectors and expands opportunities for these prized vehicles to be enjoyed.
- H.B. 4064 recognizes the important historical and specialized purposes of these vehicles.
Overview: West Virginia has introduced SAN-supported legislation (H.B. 4064) to allow antique vehicle license plates for vehicles over 10,000 lbs. Currently, the law states an antique motor vehicle as any motor vehicle which is more than 25 yeas old and is owned solely as a collector’s item. This bill clarifies that vehicles exceeding 10,000 pounds qualify as an antique vehicle if they are no longer used for commercial use. The bill passed the House Technology and Infrastructure Committee and currently awaits consideration in the House Government Organization Committee.